How to apply
You can apply online by following the link at the bottom of this page.
As part of your application, you will be asked to upload certified digital copies of your qualifications in translating and/or interpreting. Please ensure these documents meet the following criteria:
- State your translation and/or interpreting qualifications
- Include academic transcripts showing courses and grades obtained
- State the language(s) you were examined in
- If your qualification documents are not in English, please provide certified translations
Please note all submitted digital qualification documents need to be verified before NZSTI can accept an application.
Verification can be obtained by:
- ‘My eQuals’ links or equivalent certified online links to your translation and/or interpreting qualification and transcripts.
- Direct verification from your training provider to email@example.com
- Sending certified hard copies of your qualification documents to NZSTI to sight
The verification method will depend on where your qualifications were obtained. We recommend that you contact your education provider if you have any questions about the above options.
Each application is assessed separately by the NZSTI Membership Committee and, if accepted, you will be offered the membership level for which you qualify. In all but rare cases, NZSTI membership is awarded based on qualifications in translation and/or interpreting only. Visit our FAQs
page for information on the types of experience that may support your application.
Applicants living overseas must apply for the category Full Member - Overseas and must provide evidence of significant links to New Zealand as well as qualifications suitable for the Full Member category.
For more information on the eligibility criteria for our different membership categories, see here.
If posting supporting documents, please note:
- Incomplete applications will lapse after two months
- Use standard post only. NZSTI will not receive your correspondence if sent by courier or registered mail due to NZ Post not delivering courier/registered mail to PO Boxes.
Once approved, we will send you relevant documentation and an invoice for your membership fees and joining fee. Your membership will be activated once your fees have been received in full. To check our fees, visit our Fees page.
You will not be invoiced if your application is not accepted.